Wednesday, October 12, 2011

A Little Comfort Food... and Drink.

I should start by saying last week was a very emotional week in the life of moi.  If you asked me why... I couldn't really tell you.  However, all was well with the world again when my best friend Kaylan came to visit.  She lives in Virginia right outside of DC and we don't see each other as much as we'd like to.

Turns out she wasn't having the best of days either, so we decided it was time for some good ole fashioned comfort food.

Meet Kaylan:

ya... I bet you wish your BFF was this pretty :)

We had Kaylan's (or I think originally the Coulter's) version of Shepard's Pie.  Shepard's Pie traditionally has got to be one of the most delicious things ever created... but this version, wow! I didn't know it could get better!  It was in a pie crust, with mixed veggies instead of just corn, mashed potatoes and ground turkey.  She also threw a few secret ingredients in... and I was in love. Here it is pre-potato:


While it was baking we decided to try out a drink I had seen on Pinterest via Nutmeg Nanny's blog:


Our version was a little less pretty than the original... and we didn't quite have all the ingredients, but we made it work!  And it wasn't half bad.  We used a Chardonnay/Pinot Grigio blend wine (Ecco Domani), added some slices of honey crisp apples, a little honey, some nutmeg and cinnamon.  We finished it off with a little sugar and cinnamon around the rim of the glass, and a cinnamon stick! It screamed fall and "my best friend is here to visit so we're going to do this thing right!"  

We finished an amazing night with Sex and the City 2 and a little snuggling on the couch.  Sam, Bubba and Meredith were also very excited to see Auntie Kaylan.  :)  

My point?  Sometimes you just need a little quality time with your bestest.  


No comments:

Post a Comment