Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Giving it another go!

If you remember this post you know about my love affair with fabric flowers like thesethese and these! You also know that my first attempt at making them wasn't exactly picture perfect.  Since the last time a very dear friend bought me an awesome hot glue gun, so I was ready to get back on the horse and give it another go.

I had some strips of fabric left from last time so we (Lynsey and I) just started off with those.  I pulled up this tutorial and turned the glue gun on to get started.  Oh I also might mention that while we were getting all crafty our boys were at the shooting range trying out Nathan's new gun! Talk about opposite ends of the hobby spectrum.

Round Two:

First we started by just taking a little bit of the fabric in your fingers.  Then you twist the fabric and start twirling it around the first little piece. Kind of confusing... but we placed a dot of glue every now and then to hold it together.

Lynsey twisting the fabric

The hot glue really helped keep the twisted fabric together.

My finished product of rosette numero uno.  

With the added embellishment glued to the middle.


Felt glued to the back to hold it in place more.

I decided to make a barrette out of them!



Taaaa daaaa!

In the mean time, the boys returned home after 2+ hours at the shooting range! They decided to clean the new "family gun" at the table while we finished our craft project. :)


So... turns out Lynsey is like Super Woman when it comes to crafts! She finished all this while I finished my two for the barrette.  I especially liked her take on the little green leaf :)



And then Super Craft Woman Lynsey developed this seriously smart and super quick way of make the rosettes.  Take the fabric strip and fold it in half over your finger like this:


Then start twisting like this:


Once you've twisted take it off your finger and twirl it around the spot when you originally draped it over your finger resulting in this:


We still used the hot glue every now and then and this time I used a little ribbon I had lying around in the craft supplies.  This took literally about a minute or two!  Then I made more and decided to make it into a pin!



I was very happy with the outcome and it is now on my coat! :) Here are the rest of the flowers we made:




Lynsey's bracelet!

Finished products! :)

Needless to say I'm extremely happy with the outcome of this try!  The more you make, the easier it becomes. I can't wait to go shopping for more fabric and to make more! I think next time I'll find some "fancier" fabric and try to do some really pretty ones like these that I found here at etsy:


Happy Crafting!!




2 comments:

  1. Those are so cool! You need to get your crafty on and start an Etsy shop!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are sooo cool! I think they are beautiful! I agree with the comment above! <3

    ReplyDelete