Sunday, December 11, 2011

If at first you don't succeed...

If you are a follower of my "DIY/Crafty Ideas" board on Pinterest you already know I'm a bit obsessed with fabric flowers.  If you are a follower of my life (aka a friend) you know I don't sew.  Imagine my excitement when I found a tutorial here at lillyella that didn't require sewing! Jackpot.

She has a great tutorial on how to make the pretty little rosettes and I got super excited.  On my last trip to Burlington I made sure to stock up at Michael's and Joanne's on all the materials I needed! I finally sat down to give it a good ole college try on Sunday.  My track record with the "college" try hasn't been so great and I'm pretty certain I was doomed from the start.  Here are a few photos of the process:


The materials: 
Fabric, Craft Glue*, ribbons, scissors, card stock, iron, pin backs, felt.
*See my thoughts on why I failed below

First I cut the fabric into strips (for details please see the link to the tutorial above)


Than I ironed the fabric so it would stay folded like above.

Finished product of rosette number 1.

Finished product of the three that I made.

I tried gluing them to the ribbon because the glue didn't hold to the pin back.

Perhaps you are thinking that it doesn't look like a terrible failed attempt.  They look pretty good, but i'm almost certain that they will fall apart after any wear.  It was a decent first attempt, but definitely not the best.  I think part of my problem lied in the glue and the fabric.  If I had a hot glue gun it definitely would have helped, and I think that the fabric that they used in the tutorial was a bit different.  Either way, if at first you don't succeed, try again! 

I found another tutorial that requires very little sewing.  I'm also going to invest in a hot glue gun so I can use the pin backs and hair clips that I bought! I'm going to give this one from Everyday Chaos a shot next time.  I'll let you know how it turns out!





3 comments:

  1. Good news is glue gun's are cheap! I'm working on my own failed attempt this weekend....refinishing a coffee table. I have learned I do not have the patience for sanding, so my boyfriend had to step in for a bit...I'll be posting pics once i'm done

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice.. if you need any pointers on the actual finishing part my Dad is a pro! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! So far so good! I had my first coat of primer, so now some fine sanding and eventually paint! If this turns out okay i'm hoping to turn an old dresser into an entertainment center!

    ReplyDelete